Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Love Lies Chapter 51



“So, where’s Richie?” Jon asked, as he sat down on the patio porch, a beer in hand.

“He’s still asleep. He’ll be there for a while. He couldn’t sleep last night,” I explained as I took a sip of my coffee.

“If you were laying next to me every night, I wouldn’t be able to sleep either.”

I made a face at him. “Is that supposed to be a compliment?”

“Only if you want it to be.”

I shook my head as I took another sip. “Do you think that you’ll ever be able to go back to New Jersey? I mean, Dot is there, and honestly, I think she’ll beat the crap outta you.”

“I’m going back to Jersey whether she likes it or not,” he said, “it’s my house for God’s sake. Plus, I still need to sign those divorce papers.”

The radio in the other room started playing “Cherry Pie” by Warrant.

“I still don’t feel sorry for her,” he continued, taking a big sip, “she’s ruined my life.”

“Jon, she’s your love.”

“She WAS my love.”

“But still,” I said, as the wind whipped through my hair, and you could hear the silent waves crashing, “you proposed to her.”

“Only because that’s when I loved her,” he said. “Can we change the subject? How about when are you and Richie moving back to Jersey?”

“I honestly haven’t talked to him about it,” I sighed. “You don’t know how much I want to move back though. I miss Jersey.”

“I miss you guys.”

“You’re living with us…”

“I meant when I’m home.”

“You know that this is partially your home.”

“True, true. But still. New Jersey’s my real home.”

I smiled and looked down. “You guys are leaving again in two days.”

“Christmas is in two weeks,” Jon said. “We’ll be back by then.”

“Then you’ll be gone for New Year’s Eve.”

“Then I’m going to cut my hair.”

“No!” I pleaded. “Don’t cut your hair!”

“I have to,” he said. “It’s almost 1990. I’m not going to have shoulder length hair.”

“Richie isn’t cutting his,” I said.

“His isn’t as long as mine.”

“Still,” I pleaded. “Please! Don’t cut it for my wedding.”

“I’m cutting it afterwards.”

I made eyes at him. “You better not.”

“I will,” he said.

I hit him in the shoulder.

“Don’t do that again,” he laughed, “or I’ll have to get you.”

“I’d like to see you try.”

He laughed as he jumped over the chair and started chasing me around the yard and onto the beach. I ran into the water as he chased me farther, until I was up to my shorts in water and he was too.

“I didn’t know you could run so fast,” he laughed. “I knew that you used to be able to, because you beat me in that 400k race that one time.”

“I’ve got to learn to run fast,” I laughed, “so people like you can’t catch me!”

I giggled as I swam under the water and he followed me.

But then, I went too far, and I couldn’t see anything.

“Jon!” I tried yelling under the water but it came all bubbly and didn’t sound good.

I found myself running out of air.

No comments:

Post a Comment